Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Darling Abutilon Challo

I know a mother is not supposed to play favorites, and I really do strive to love all my plants equally... but I can't help myself.  My abutilon challo is mama's little darling.  Just look at those flowers - how can a mother resist? 


The abutilon challo is thriving on our front porch, which is shaded but gets a few hours of sunlight in the afternoon.  I planted the abutilon challo in a deep pot and water it about two or three times a week, depending on the Pasadena heat levels.  (When the summer heat hits, daily waterings may be necessary).

The abutilon challo likes to grow around a stake.  It came with a small stick at the nursery, but I recently upgraded it to a five footer:


But then, at Home Depot, I saw a four foot high trellis and realized my darling needed an upgrade:


I haven't found much information about the abutilon challo, so frankly, I'm curious to see what happens.  Will my sweetness grow and spread all over the trellis?  Or will she just grow vertically? 

Whatever she does, I will love her unconditionally.  But shhh, don't tell my other plants.  They'll get jealous.