Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Children's Movies for Grown-Ups

Yes, I'm thirty-three.  And yes, I still love children's movies.  By "children's movies," I mean "intelligent, funny movies that just so happen to be animated and/or involve puppets."  I do not mean "crappy movies that make you want to gouge your eyes out and never have children/abandon any children you already have."  Those movies suck, and I refuse to watch them. 

These are my favorite children's movies.  They are highly entertaining and should not be missed.  No matter how old I get, I hope to always love animation and puppets.

1.  Despicable Me - I dare you to watch this movie and not fall in love with the minions.  If you don't love the minions, please stop reading this blog.  The sequel is coming out in 2013, and I cannot wait!
2.  Up
3.  The Toy Story Trilogy
4.  The Muppets - Just the new one.  I rewatched The Muppets Take Manhattan recently and it's a children's movie in the worst sense of the term.  It made my soul hurt a little.  But the new one makes me smile until my face hurts.
5.  Labyrinth - David Bowie is the Goblin King in a Jim Henson movie.  Bowie composed the music.  And he wears spandex.  Enough said.
6.  Lilo and Stitch - The adventures of a crazy destructive alien in Hawaii.  Just thinking about this movie makes my heart swell. 
7.  Disney's Beauty and the Beast
8.  The Nightmare Before Christmas - Stop-motion animation + Tim Burton + Danny Elfman soundtrack = one of my favorite movies in the world.     
9.  Megamind
10.  Wall-E
11.  Fantastic Mr. Fox - Wes Anderson + George Clooney's voice + animation = why the hell is this movie on my Amazon wishlist and not yet in my dvd cupboard?

Notable omission: Disney's The Little Mermaid.  I adore this movie, but my baby sister watched this movie to death.  This was back in the pre-DVD world, and she would cry while we were rewinding the movie so she could watch it again.  Sometimes, we told her "the Little Mermaid is sleeping now" just so we could watch something that did not involve singing sea creatures.  I have not seen this movie in years, but I could probably recite at least 80% of the lines from memory.  As a matter of principle, I'm leaving this movie off the list.