Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Even When It's Hot, I Need A Blanket To Sleep

Does anyone else suffer from this disorder?  It does not matter if it's 95 degrees in my bedroom: I must feel the weight of a blanket covering my body in order to fall asleep.  It does not have to be a particularly heavy blanket, but it does have to be a blanket.  If it's just a flat sheet, my subconscious throws a hissy fit and does everything in its power to sabotage my ability to sleep.

Obviously, I need a lightweight blanket for the summer heat.  (A few other things are obvious: (a) I am not a good candidate for camping expeditions; (b) I'd make a lousy nomad; and (c) I need to get over myself and learn how to sleep with a flat sheet during the summer).  But I digress.  I have a vision of an airy blanket, like a loosely knit cotton with a lot of little holes for ventilation.  It is soft and lulls me into a sweet slumber every night, even if our bedroom feels like a sauna.

I know exactly where I can find this blanket of my dreams: in my parents' house, sometime during the 80s or early 90s.  They owned two sky blue blankets that were perfect for summer slumbers.  Oh, how I yearn for those blankets.  If I had a time machine, I'd go back to 1984 and steal that blanket from my five year old arms, even if I disrupted the time continuum and damaged the fabric of the universe.  I'm willing to take that gamble to get my favorite summer blanket back.

But alas, I don't have a time machine.  Looks like there's a trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond in my future.  Fantastic.  I have a love-hate relationship with that store.  It has the stuff I need at reasonable prices, but if an earthquake hits while I'm shopping there, I'm going to perish under an avalanche of towels and can openers.