Friday, March 9, 2012

Plant Experiments: The Abutilon Challo

I bought some new plants for our front porch:


The guy on the left is an Abutilon Challo.  According to its nursery tag, it is an airy shrub that can grow up to six feet high and is a "must have" for hummingbird lovers.  Check out its flowers:


This plant makes me think of Jack and the Beanstalk.  It seems like the sort of magical vine that could just grow into the clouds overnight.  This was the only Abutilon Challo at the nursery.  It was just hanging out with the azaleas, trying to look cool.  For $10, I decided I could give it a home.

But will this plant actually thrive on our front porch?  I don't have an effing clue.  The plant supposedly does well in a "lightly shaded spot" and our porch is "heavily shaded."  Oops.  If it starts to fade, I guess I can relocate the pot.  Except the pot weighs about as much as a baby elephant.

This plant better learn how to adapt to a heavily shade front porch really quickly!