Monday, March 26, 2012

Life is Good

Since my last post was on the gloomy side, I wanted to write about some things today that are making me very happy.  In no particular order:

  • Television: Mad Men is back!  Woo hoo!  If you have not watched Mad Men, I highly recommend adding it to your Netflix queue immediately, if not sooner. 
  • Baking: I hosted my book club on Sunday and baked the most scrumptious loaf of banana bread.  I got the recipe from my new favorite cookbook, Joy the Baker Cookbook.  If you have any interest in baking, GET THIS BOOK.  If you just want to bake some amazing banana bread, that involves chocolate (yes!) and bourbon (hell yeah!), the recipe is available here
  • Reading: I am about 200 pages into Gone With the Wind, and I love it.  Is it politically correct?  Oh my lord, no.  But Scarlett O'Hara is an entertaining heroine, and I am happy to spend the next few weeks following her adventures.
  • Spring Cleaning: By "spring cleaning," I mean "spring purging."  I am moving through the house, one small project at a time.  This weekend, I spent an hour attacking the cupboard under my bathroom sink.  It was scary down there.  Every time I opened the cupboard to get a new roll of toilet paper, I was attacked by half-empty shampoo bottles and abandoned toiletries.  The cupboard door would not even shut fully.  Now when I look at the cupboard, I smile and feel light, like I unloaded a heavy burden.