Monday, March 19, 2012

Unsolicited Advice for Brides-to-Be: This Is Not Your Last Opportunity To Buy Stationary (Seriously)

When choosing your wedding invitation, I just want you to remember one thing: this is not the last opportunity in your life to buy stationary.

It can feel that way.  It can feel like Oh my god I'm getting married and my wedding stationary needs to be amazing and I need to pick the best f***ing stationary in the world and that stationary must reflect the geography of my soul while also conveying the spirit of the wedding.  Choosing your wedding stationary can feel like the most intensely important thing in the world ... but it's not.  Remember, your Inner Bridezilla is a crazy bitch who is not always the most rational creature.

You don't have to find your Stationary Soulmate.  You found Mr. Right, and he's the only soulmate you need.  Here's my rule of thumb about wedding invitations: it needs to be one click above "not ugly."  That's it.  You can do better if you like, but so long as your invitation is "better than not ugly," you've chosen well. 

If you have a soft spot for stationary and get weak knees at the sight of a letterpress card, have no fear!  You get to choose lots of fun stationary FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.  There will be Christmas cards, birthday cards, birth announcements and thank you notes (because momma raised you right).  You can send "We Moved!" postcards and Valentine cards.  And holy crap, did you know you can send someone a pretty card for no reason at all?  You can! 

It might seem like your wedding invitations will be The Best Stationary You Ever Buy In Your Entire Life.  Guess what?  Not true.  Unless you are marrying a billionaire, your wedding will have a budget.  And guess what?  Wedding invitations get really expensive, really fast.  You might find an awesome invitation that turns into a musical light show, but if it costs $30 a pop, and you are inviting more than five people to your wedding ... you can see where I'm going with this. 

But let's say you find the most inspiring birthday or holiday card that costs $8.  Guess what?  Yes, $8 is a lot to spend on a card, but if you buy just one, it will probably not send you to bankruptcy court.  (Please note: my blog posts should not be read as legal or financial advice). 

So don't agonize about finding your Stationary Soulmate.  If you have a Stationary Soulmate, I guarantee he's not a wedding invitation.  He's a birthday card or a really cool postcard of Berlin.

I got married in July 2011, and now I have lots of opinions about weddings. My baby sister Katherine (aka Spucky) is ten years younger than me. Someday, she will get engaged and I will want to go into crazy big sister mode and inundate her with advice. Instead, I'm writing blog posts so when she gets engaged, she can read (or not read) my advice at her leisure.