Monday, March 5, 2012

Unsolicited Advice for Brides-to-Be: Don't Be A Hungover Bride

Do not be a hungover bride.  Do not be a hungover bride.  This is very important and I cannot repeat it enough: DO NOT BE A HUNGOVER BRIDE.

I'm not going to tell you how much or what to drink the day before your wedding.  Only you know your limits and the effect alcohol has on your body.  Maybe you can drink a bottle or two of wine and wake up feeling like a healthy princess.  Or maybe you will feel wretched for an entire week if you even smell a whiff of vodka.  I don't know.  The point is this: know and respect your limits.

Maybe you think you can get drunk during the rehearsal dinner and shake it off the next morning.  Fine.  But what do you have to do to minimize your hangover?  Do you have to drink a gallon of Gatorade and eat six cheeseburgers?  Before you go on a bender, think about how much you want to eat and drink on the Big Day.  Can your dress camouflage a cheeseburger gut? Can your bladder handle a gallon of Gatorade?  Or are you going to need to pee/vomit during the vows?

Decide before your rehearsal dinner how much you are going to drink.  Our rehearsal dinner was at a Mexican restaurant that serves my favorite margaritas.  I could have easily imbibed an entire pitcher by myself, but then I would have been a zombie bride.  I indulged in one margarita and then switched to water. 

Don't be a hungover zombie bride who smells a little bit like vomit.  If you puke on the minister's shoes, that moment will be captured and posted on YouTube.  Forever.

I got married in July 2011, and now I have lots of opinions about weddings.  My baby sister Katherine (aka Spucky) is ten years younger than me.  Someday, she will get engaged and I will want to go into crazy big sister mode and inundate her with advice.  Instead, I'm writing blog posts so when she gets engaged, she can read (or not read) my advice at her leisure.