Monday, April 16, 2012

Unsolicited Advice for Brides-to-Be: Have A Miniature Fan On Hand In Case You Get Sweaty

Before our July wedding ceremony, I hid in a small room.  It was a hot July day, and the room had no ventilation and no air conditioning. I started to sweat immediately. 

Lucky for me, my Aunt Pam saved the day with a portable, battery-operated fan.  Otherwise, when it was time to say our vows, I would have looked (and smelled) like a sweaty beast. Thank you, Aunt Pam! 

I don't care if you are getting married in Iceland or Antartica: you must make sure you have a miniature fan to keep you cool and composed.  The air conditioning might break.  It might be unseasonably warm.  Or, maybe you will just start to sweat rivers when you realize you have to walk down the aisle in a few minutes without tripping.  Do you really want to be worrying about sweaty armpits as your groom slips the ring on your finger?  

You should probably have portable fans and spare batteries for all of your bridesmaids.  That way, they can surround you and cool you off from every direction, like an emperor encircled by concubines with palm branches.  (If you are trying to channel the feeling of a Biblical brothel for your wedding day, I suppose you could just get palm fronds instead of fans for the bridesmaids... but even I admit that would be really, really strange).

I got married in July 2011, and now I have lots of opinions about weddings. My baby sister Katherine (aka Spucky) is ten years younger than me. Someday, she will get engaged and I will want to go into crazy big sister mode and inundate her with advice. Instead, I'm writing blog posts so when she gets engaged, she can read (or not read) my advice at her leisure.