Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Norton Simon Museum

I became a member of the Norton Simon Museum last week.  The art collection at the Norton Simon is just ridiculous.  I usually get sucked into the twentieth century gallery, with its Van Goghs, Picassos and Degas sculptures, but the other galleries are equally impressive. 


I joined the museum so I can stop by for a brief visit whenever I'm in the neighborhood and not feel guilty.  When I pay for my admission, I feel like I'm supposed to look at as much art as possible.  But I prefer my art in short doses.  After about forty-five minutes, my eyes start to glaze over and my brain screams, "No more!  No more!  Let's play the Wii!"  

With my membership, I can dip into a gallery or two, look at a handful of paintings and then sit on a bench and people watch.  Museums are one of the best place for people watching.  If the weather's nice, I can amble around the lily pad garden before I go home.



Okay, okay.  Technically, it's a sculpture garden, but we all know lily pads are way cooler than any sculpture.  I thought I saw some tadpoles swimming in the water, so maybe there will be frogs at a future visit.

Figure, Jacques Lipchitz, 1926-1930


p.s. Isn't this sculpture amazing?  The creature looks painfully shy and nervous, like he's trying to hide from the museum patrons.  I want to be his friend.  Maybe if I bring him some chocolate covered raisins, he'll calm down a little.