Sometimes, I just need to sit on the couch, be in a bad mood, and watch a movie. Alone. (Unless a glass of red wine counts as companionship). I might parktake in some mindless knitting, or I might just huddle under a blanket and be cranky. If I watch one of these movies, I am always in a better mood by the end of the film.
In no particular mood, these are my favorite movies to watch when I'm cranky:
1. Bridget Jones Diary
2. Pride & Prejudice (either the long BBC version with Colin Firth or the shorter version with Keira Knightley)
3. Mama Mia! The Movie
4. Four Weddings and a Funeral (which is only available from alternate sellers on Amazon - WTF? I mean, seriously, WTF??)
5. 500 Days of Summer (I had to make sure something with Zooey Deschanel made the list - sorry, minor girl crush)
6. Chocolat (Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, and lots of chocolate in Paris? Yes, please!)
7. Like Water for Chocolate
8. Eat, Pray, Love (This book and movie seem to have a lot of haters, but I just love them both).
9. Easy A
10. Julie & Julia
11. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (one of the few Nathan-approved movies on the list)
12. 13 Going on 30 (I'm probably going to lose a lot of credibility putting this on the list, but I don't care. I watched it the night before starting the California bar exam and it took me to a happy place. Maybe it will help you).
13. Bend It Like Beckham
15. A Room With A View (Of all the movies on this list, I've probably watched this one the most).
16. Breakfast at Tiffany's
17. Coco Before Chanel (for the fashion)
18. Strictly Ballroom
19. A League of Their Own
20. Paper Heart (I love Charylyne Yi, the writer and lead actress of this film. I could listen to her talk about sandpaper for hours).
21. Away We Go (Maya Rudolph, I love you!)
22. Marie Antoinette (costume porn)
24. The Joy Luck Club
25. Disney's Beauty and the Beast
26. Disney's The Little Mermaid (I could list more Disney movies, but I won't).
27. Dirty Dancing
30. Under The Tuscan Sun (Warning: you might accidentally buy tickets to Italy after watching this).
31. Ever After: A Cinderella Story
32. The Help
33. Hairspray (The movie starring John Travolta in drag).
Please note: I intentionally omitted the Sex and the City movies from this list. I believe that show turns women into crazy psychotic emotional vampire bitches. Yes, the clothes and girls are fun. But if you are already in a cranky mood, just say NO to Sex and the City.