Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holy Crap, The Commercials Weren't Lying

While I was standing in line at the register at Walgreen's, I spotted Topple, an old boardgame from the 80s.  I had never actually played the game, but I was brainwashed by 80s commercials to believe it was AMAZING.  And commercials never lie, right?   When my husband reported the game only cost $7, the decision was made: I had to own Topple.

Still, I had my doubts.  This was a boardgame that I wanted to play when I was 8 years old.  Was it really going to amuse Mature Older Courtney?  It was probably just a poor man's Jenga.  But, there are worse ways to waste $7.

I don't know why I doubted the Topple commercials.  For starters, take a look at the back of the box: 


Let's start with the mom's sweater vest.  How amazing is that thing??  And how did they get her hair to look like she was just electrocuted?  Is it safe to wear that much hair spray?  Would she just spontaneously combust if she walked near an open flame?  And what color is the dad's hair?  It's electric blonde on top with dark brown side burns!  Obviously, any game that comes in this packaging is going to be amazing.  (And, even if the game sucks, the box can still be proudly displayed as a work of art).

The game is amazing.  I kind of want to stop writing this post right now and play again.  It's just the right mix of skill, strategy and luck. 

Here's my husband carefully placing a piece on the wobbly board.  Please note that he is strategically leaning in order to place the piece without "toppling" the board.  It's an intense game.  (Oh look, Rivals of Catan is still on the table.  Blush.)


Now that I've played Topple several times, I would gladly buy it again for $20.  The 80s commercials did not lie.  Every household in America needs this game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment