Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Year!

Another year has come and gone.  2011: you were fabulous.  I got married, honeymooned in Maui, and started telecommuting.  Lots of wonderful things happened!  (I also started this blog in 2011, but I'll let you decide whether or not that was a good thing).

Over the years, my relationship with New Years Eve has evolved.  As a child, I thought it was one of the best parts of being an adult.  Everyone went to exciting parties, wore fabulous dresses and had life-altering experiences at midnight.  (My opinion was deeply influenced by When Harry Met Sally).

As a junior high and high school student, New Years Eve meant "lucrative babysitting gigs."  One year, it meant "Twin Peaks marathon."  I have a very low tolerance for scary/creepy shows, and to this day, I am haunted by one of the Twin Peaks episodes that I watched on December 31, 199?.

As a college student, New Years Eve was unpredictable/weird.  For the 1999/2000 celebration, my high school friend Kristin decided we should stay awake all night and take lots of photos.  My memories of that night are hazy, but we definitely drove to San Diego, ate a meal at Denny's, and took photographs at the Santa Monica pier around sunset.  For the 2000/2001 celebration, my baby sister had her appendix removed.  At midnight, I was in the emergency room.  It was an experience, to say the least.

In my mid-20s, I alternated between good New Years Eves and boring/awkward/disappointing New Years Eves.  The holiday just carries too many expectations for the young and single. 

Now, in my 30s, I celebrate the beginning/end of the year at home with my husband.  We cook a good meal, watch t.v. and fall asleep when we are tired.  Last year, this meant falling asleep before 10 p.m. 

No matter how you are celebrating New Years Eve, I hope you enjoy a safe and happy holiday.  And remember, there is no shame in falling asleep before midnight.   Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment