Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Travel Reads

Summer does not officially start until June 20th, but in my heart, it's already here.  I'm hoping to do some armchair traveling this summer from the comfort of my swimming pool (I'll leave the armchair in the house, but you know what I mean).  These are my favorite travel memoirs:
  • Bill Bryson's travel books, especially A Walk In the Woods and In A Sunburned Country.  In the first book, Bill attempts to hike the Appalachian Trail (which actually cut through my college campus).  In the second, he travels through Australia.  I still laugh when I think about these books.
  • The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift In the Equatorial Pacific, by J. Maarten Troost.  The author and his wife move to a remote South Pacific Island.  By remote, I mean "once a month, a container ship arrives with supplies and sometimes, every few weeks, an airplane stops by."  One time, the container ship arrives without the monthly beer supply and the entire island goes bat sh*t crazy.
  • No Touch Monkey!  And Other Travel Lesson Learned Too Late, by Ayun Halliday.  The author goes on crazy adventures in Romania and Bali so you don't have to. 
  • A Year in the Merde, by Stephen Clarke.  There are a lot of memoirs written by Brits and Americans who live in France and rhapsodize about how the French are the most amazing people in the world.  Not Clarke.  Clarke lived in Paris for a year and had a terrible time.  This book chronicles his misadventures.
  • A Year In Provence, by Peter Mayle.  If you dream about operating your own vineyard and living in a drafty estate in the French countryside, then this is your book.
  • Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia, by Elizabeth Gilbert.  The title summarizes the book better than I can.  I think a lot of people felt obligated to hate this book since it was on the bestseller list for so long, but I adore it.
Can you recommend any good armchair travel books?  If so, please leave a note below in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I just read and loved Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux. He also has written a bunch of other travel books, but that's the only one I've read. Malaria Dreams (can't remember the author) was ok.

    ReplyDelete