Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Great Sugar Detox of 2012

Earlier this year, I conquered my caffeine addiction - and I feel great!  I feel less edgy, sleep better, and have more energy.  But most noticeably, my face looks better.  My skin feels softer and smoother; I get fewer zits; and there's less redness in my cheeks.  (In my case, the "redness" was like "the unhealthy flushing of a fat ass," and not " the pleasant blush of a cheerleader.")

Now I'm ready to tackle my sugar addiction.  I know I will be healthier and happier if I can cut back on my sugar intake.  But I'm an addict, so I need to purge the sugar from my system.  

I have no idea what my sugar detox will entail.  Should I just eliminate white sugar from my diet?  Or should I also eliminate things like honey and dried fruit?  Fruit has sugar, but I'll be damned if I'm giving up my blueberries and watermelon.

I don't intend to break-up with sugar forever, but I think I need to detox for awhile in order to control my sweet tooth.  Right now, I crave dessert daily, and by "dessert" I mean "ice cream, cake, and pie."  I'd like to get to a place where I can have a sugary treat once or twice a week (and maybe, eventually, once or twice a month - but I'm not yet emotionally prepared to think that way).  But how do I get there?  Should I eliminate sugar for a week?  A month?  Or maybe I should start with baby steps and just take this day by day?

And how will I feel without sugar?  Energized?  Lethargic?  Giddy?  Depressed?  Will I start preaching the Gospel of Sugar Detox?  Or should I just crawl into a ditch right now and die?

Wish me luck.  If you hear about a Pasadena woman who gets arrested for engaging in lewd acts in public with a cupcake, you can safely assume it was me having a meltdown.