Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Telecommuting Confessions: The Dress Code Is Pretty Relaxed Here

I would just like to note for the record that as I write this, I am wearing jeans, a clean t-shirt, a cute striped cardigan and black ankle boots.  This is nothing short of a miracle. I am, after all, a telecommuter.  I can spend the day in pajamas and a bathrobe, and I still get paid. 

For six and a half years, I worked in offices with business casual dress codes.  Over the years, I spent a lot of money at Banana Republic. Now that I telecommute, my business casual wardrobe is languishing in the darkest corner of my closet.  But I still try to make an effort to wear nice clothes every day at least once a week.  

I think I am going to have to write a Telecommuting Dress Code before I start dressing like a homeless person.  These are a few of the rules that I am trying to observe:
  • Put on real pants by 11 a.m. Sweatpants are not real pants.  Pajama bottoms?  Not real pants.
  • It is okay to wear a comfy, stained t-shirt in the house.  It is not okay to walk/drive past the property line in a stained t-shirt, even if I am just running to the grocery store. Let's try to preserve a modicum of dignity.
  • I must wear shoes for at least a few hours every day.  No, my electric green Crocs do not count as shoes.  Yes, my Toms are real shoes.  I am a telecommuter, not a prisoner. 
These rules seem really harsh.  Pants everyday?  Yeah, like that is going to happen.  Since I wore jeans today, I think I'm free to wear sweats for the rest of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment