Monday, July 16, 2012

Our Lemon Tree

We have a lemon tree in our backyard that produces lemons with the most perfect lemon-y smell that's perfect for cooking and baking. But the tree can be a little unpredictable, so I sometimes purchase a back-up lemon at the grocery store.

Below is a comparison of the grocery store lemon (on the left) and a lemon from our tree (on the right). Our lemon was twice the size of the grocery store lemon! It's also less yellow, but its peel gave off the most intense lemon smell.  The grocery store lemon smelled like plastic.


I was using the monster lemon for a baking project and needed a little more zest for my batter. When I went back to our tree for another lemon, I discovered the World's Tiniest Lemon:


How the hell did one tree produce both of these lemons?!?!

After this post goes live, scientists are going to converge on my backyard and run a battery of tests on my mutant lemon tree. That's okay. It's not like my lemons were going to win the 2012 Citrus Pageant. (I wrote that last sentence in jest, but come to think of it, this is Southern California. There probably is a Citrus Pageant circuit, where farmers force their lemons, limes and oranges to strut around in swimsuits).