Friday, February 3, 2012

Mmm, Chili (and oh yeah, the Super Bowl)

The Super Bowl is on Sunday!  Woo hoo!  I'm not really that excited!  But I thought I should use some exclamation marks!  Super Bowl!!!

I will be watching the Super Bowl, mostly for the commercials, Madonna and the possibility of inclement weather.  If it's snowing or raining, it's amusing to watch the shivering players and fans.  (My parents like to watch news footage of blizzards, especially if cars are sliding down roads.  So I blame them).  

During the Super Bowl, I'll be eating this chili.  It is outstanding and ridiculously easy to make.  Seriously, if you have a can opener, you can make this chili.  We eat it with sour cream, shredded cheese and Fritos.  When I am feeling virtuous, I just eat the chili by itself - it's still delicious.  But since it's the Super Bowl, I don't think I'll be feeling virtuous on Sunday.

I realize people have a lot of strong opinions about chili.  There are probably competing academic societies and if there's ever a Chili Symposium, it will end in violence.  My favorite chili recipe belongs to the "ground beef and kidney beans" genre.  If you like that type of chili, then you will love this recipe.  If you prefer chunks of beef in your chili (shudder), then don't even click the link.

I hope something interesting happens during the Super Bowl.  Then, on Monday, while I am telecommuting, I can have a conversation with myself at the water cooler about the crazy thing Madonna did.  But even if the Super Bowl is boring, I know my chili dinner will be delicious.