Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Skip the Parade; Admire the Floats

I like all of the elements of the parade, especially the bands and floats, but the whole parade experience sucks.  You have to arrive early if you want a good view; but no matter how early you arrive, someone will block your view.  Vendors are selling vuvuzelas, aka the devil's favorite musical instrument, so you get to spend the entire day listening to the sounds of a dying elephant.  And if you have to go to the bathroom, may God have mercy on your soul.

Wouldn't it make much more sense for the parade to just stay in one place for a few hours?  Then, you could see and listen to everything at your own pace, just like at a museum.   

After the Rose Parade, the floats are displayed for 1.5 days at the end of the parade route.  It's like an outdoor museum, and it eliminates the evils of actually attending the Rose Parade.  I walked over this morning and discovered that if you subtract the vuvuzelas, I actually love the Rose Parade floats.  

I love dinosaurs, so this is my favorite float.  End of discussion.

I was a Girl Scout, and the Girl Scout float makes
 me want to earn another merit badge.
 Volunteers wearing white suits and red ties guard the floats.  I know
what you are thinking and I agree: I need to dress like this every day.

My internet connection is acting like it's 1997, so I'll post more photos later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment