Thursday, September 8, 2011

There Was A Loud Crash, And Now We Have The Best Tree Fort In The Neighborhood

Last night, my husband and I were eating dinner when we heard a large crashing sound outside.  I normally hyperventilate in these circumstances and assume "there's a mountain lion on the roof!" or "there's a pack of rabid raccoons coming down the chimney!" But last night, I dismissed the very loud crashing sound and assumed it was something trivial.  Nathan was skeptical, but we continued eating dinner and forgot about the sound.

In the morning, Nathan discovered the source of the loud crashing sound:


Oh.  I guess it wasn't that trivial. 

Apparently a very large tree branch crash landed on our front lawn last night.  I hesitate to call this a "tree branch."  It's about the size of two large cars.  This "branch" could take out the brass section of a respectable marching band.  It's bigger than some of the trees in my neighborhood, and yet, it's just a humble branch.

When I was in high school, I told myself I would never be 100% adult.  I believe it's safe to say that I have kept that promise.  Case in point: this morning, when I saw the branch, I noted I would need to call the City of Pasadena to remove the branch.  (There's no way this bad boy could fit in our trash bin!)  But I also thought: this would make an awesome fort. 

The City of Pasadena is collecting the rogue branch today.  I know the branch has to go, but still, it makes me a little sad.  If I covered the top with an old sheet, it really would be the best tree fort in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment