Friday, September 9, 2011

Chanel No. No Thank You

I am on a quest to find my "signature scent."  I have never been one for perfume but recently decided, Yes! I would like to wear perfume!  And smell pretty!  But finding a perfume that I would like to wear?  That has not been easy.

Shopping for perfume is not like shopping for anything else.  If you are shopping for jeans, you can try on dozens and dozens of pairs, until your butt and thighs start to chafe.  If you are shopping for some beach reading, you can open up book after book until you find The One.  Even if you are just buying frozen yogurt, you can still sample one or two (or five) flavors before committing to your dessert.

But perfume?  Perfume is IMPOSSIBLE.  You can't just sniff the bottle.  You have to apply some perfume to your wrists and then let it react with your natural body chemicals (or something like that) for twenty or thirty minutes.  And once you've applied some perfume to your wrists, that's it.  You can't layer your body with several different scents, or you will smell like a brothel.  (Ok, I have never actually been to a brothel, but I imagine that a brothel would smell like a dozen different perfumes that have been applied too heavily.  But that's just me).  So long story short, you can only sample one perfume a day - unless you are willing to run home and shower.

I recently watched the movie Coco Before Chanel.  It was excellent.  Since I had Chanel and perfume on my mind, I decided to try Chanel No. 5.  I understand it's the Holy Grail of perfumes - the most popular, the most famous, the most whatever.  I know it might take awhile to find my signature scent, but maybe Chanel No. 5 would abbreviate my quest.

I found a sample bottle of No. 5 at Nordstroms.  Cautiously, I sniffed the bottle.  Hmm, I thought, this does not smell good.  But, what do I know?  I am a perfume virgin.  Surely it would smell delightful on my wrist.

No, it does not smell delightful on my wrist.  Chanel No. 5 + Courtney's Wrist = Smells Like A Public Restroom.

Damn, the quest continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment