Thursday, August 9, 2012

Walking Out

Have you ever seen a movie so bad that you left the theater before it was over? Until today, I had never done this. I don't finish every movie I rent, but if I paid for the movie ticket, I'm going to sit in the theater until the credits roll.

But this morning, I took myself on a date to see Woody Allen's new movie, To Rome With Love. I have a love-hate relationship with Woody Allen movies (love: Annie Hall, Manhattan, Midnight in Paris; hate: Celebrity, Match Point). I never know where the latest Woody Allen movie will fall on the love-hate spectrum, so I try to give them all a chance.

Nathan was not willing to give To Rome a chance. I pouted, widened my eyes, and stroked his arm in the most pathetic way possible, but my man was not willing to waste two hours on this film. I reasoned and argued and reminded him how much we loved Midnight in Paris last summer, but to no avail. So finally, with some free time this morning, I took myself.

Big mistake. Within three minutes, I realized I should have followed my husband's instincts and skipped this movie. I love you, Woody, but I just did not click with To Rome With Love.

So I left.

There were about forty minutes left to the movie, and I had zero interest in seeing how things worked out. I debated my decision for a few minutes:

Me: I hate this movie.
Me: Agree.
Me: I should leave now.
Me: Yes, please.
Me: Maybe I'll feel guilty if I leave.
Me: You're going to feel guilty if you waste any more time on this stupid movie.
Me: Maybe ... I want a bagel for lunch.
Me: Excellent plan! Let's ditch this movie and get a bagel.
Me: Deal.

I think I need to watch Annie Hall tonight to restore my faith in Woody Allen. Also, Pasadena needs more bagel shops. (And while we're at, Pasadena also needs a decent deli. Could someone arrange this? A girl should not have to drive 20 miles for a decent potato knish!)