Friday, August 3, 2012

Some Random Olympics Thoughts

Random Olympics Thought No. 1
The things that the female gymnasts can do on the balance beam are just unbelievable. I could maybe walk from one end of the balance beam to the other without falling off, but I would have to concentrate really hard and use both arms to balance (and there would still be at least a 65% chance that I'd fall off). But the gymnasts don't just walk across the balance beam; they flip, jump and tumble around. I can't even perform those feats on the ground. (Hell, I couldn't even begin to perform those feats on the ground, even if I was assisted by a harness, several trainers, and a few wizards).

Random Olympics Thought No. 2
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Olympic Village for just an hour, because I have many questions: How does one Olympic athlete flirt with another athlete? Do they ever play Spin the Bottle? Do they have their own lame pickup lines? Do the gold medalists only pair off with their fellow gold medalists?

And then I have questions that do not pertain to romance: Do the athletes wear their medals around the Village? What countries are the cool athletes from? Is the Olympic Village like a discotheque at all hours of the night, or do they enforce a strict bedtime? Do they pull summer camp pranks, like shorting the sheets and putting someone's hand in warm water to make them pee in their sleep?


Random Olympics Thought No. 3
I just don't get volleyball.