Friday, August 19, 2011

Homemade Peanut Butter!

When it comes to dieting, my Achilles heel is peanut butter.  From the time I wake up until about 10 p.m., I am a saint.  I eat healthy meals, and I snack on celery and grapes.  Then, it happens.  Around 10 p.m., I hear the siren call of peanut butter and I am helpless.  I stand by the cupboard, spoon in hand, intending to just have a taste.  But as soon as that first taste hits my mouth, my intentions go straight to hell and before I know it, half the jar of peanut butter has disappeared.  I can only assume it has gone to an alternate dimension.  It couldn’t possibly have traveled to my stomach because I only intended to have a small spoonful. 

So I stopped buying peanut butter.  It seems to be the only solution to my little problem.

Peanut butter, however, can be a dieter’s friend (if said dieter can resist going on a peanut butter bender).  A tablespoon of peanut butter + a tart green apple = the perfect afternoon snack.  I found myself wondering if I could control my peanut butter feeding frenzies if I tried a different type of peanut butter. 

Recently, I made homemade peanut butter.  It is the easiest “recipe” ever: buy peanuts; put peanuts in a food processor; turn on said food processor; let the peanuts swirl around madly for about 30 seconds; and viola!  You have delicious peanut butter that would make Mother Nature smile.

The flavor of homemade peanut butter is outstanding.  It’s like your standard store-bought peanut butter, but with more depth.  I only need a tablespoon to feel satisfied.  Success!  Once again, I can eat one of my favorite foods without fear of sabotaging my diet.

I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize to any children I might have in the future: I’m sorry that mommy won’t buy Skippy or Jiffy peanut butter.  If you are looking for ways to be a rebellious teenager, just hide a jar of Skippy in the pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment