Thursday, August 18, 2011

Add This To Your Netflix Queue: Easy A

Last night, I watched Easy A.  I never saw a preview for this movie’s theatrical release and had zero expectations.  Honestly, I was planning to only devote half my attention to the movie.  It was going to be background noise for a craft project.

The movie was awesome.  I abandoned my craft project, poured myself a glass of cheap white wine, and enjoyed a fantastic movie night.  

Easy A is a high school movie in the same genre as Pretty in Pink and Mean Girls.  The protagonist, Olive Penderghast, is a virgin, but the entire high school believes she is the school slut-whore-tramp.  Emma Stone plays the smart protagonist, and I fell in love with her character immediately.

I don’t want to spoil the movie for you, but every other line of dialogue was brilliant. There were references to Judy Blume and the “Sweet Valley Traveling Pants.”  When Olive complains that “John Hughes did not direct my life,” there is a montage of clips from classic 80s high school movies.  There is even a musical number just because every movie should have at least one musical number.

If you have not yet seen Easy A, I urge you to add it to your Netflix queue post haste.  I myself am going to buy the dvd for my small but reliable collection of movies that cheer me up on “my dark days” (translation: that special time of month when I am a homicidal, hormonal, crazy bitch lady).  

No comments:

Post a Comment