Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hello!

How goes it? Yesterday I had a fun crisis. When I woke up, it felt like something was stuck under my right eyelid. I was not in agony, but I was far from comfortable. I tried all my tricks, but my right eye would not stop bugging me. Fortunately, I have an excellent optometrist and he saw me yesterday morning. He examined my eye and could not find any abrasions or foreign objects, but when he flipped my right eyelid, I started to feel better. My optometrist thinks a minuscule particle was trapped under my eyelid and it got dislodged as he moved things around.

I suppose I could have saved myself a trip to the optometrist if I had flipped my eyelid myself... but there's no way in hell I would do something like that. Ew, gross. I require a trained (and insured) professional for that sort of medical procedure.

Today my eye feels 100% normal. I didn't even remember yesterday's discomfort until Nathan asked how I was doing.

Now I'm at home, fully dressed. Okay, I'm fully dressed in my exercise shorts but when you're pregnant, that counts! I'm in the process of stewing some prunes using this recipe (so simple and easy, yet the results are magical).

I've been revising my novel this morning, and now I'm going to revise it some more. This whole "revising my first novel thing" is going really well. My first draft was a bloated 437 pages, and I've already got the second draft slimmed down to a svelte 378 (and I still have another 160 pages of revisions to input into my computer).

This afternoon I'm going to do some thrilling legal work. Okay, it's not that thrilling, but it's a good break from the novel. I don't understand writers who are able to spend 10 or 12 hours a day working. I can be super productive for 3 or 4 hours, and then the creative side of my brain goes blank.

If I'm feeling really ambitious, I might tackle one of the "piles" on my To Do List. Pile Number One is a stack of stuff (mostly unused picture frames) that I hid behind our piano right before our wedding... sixteen months ago. I need to find a home for all the stuff in Pile Number One. Pile Number Two is a heap of office supplies. I was reorganizing a closet, and as part of the reorganization, I put all the office supplies on the floor... four weeks ago. It might be time to put the office supplies back on their shelf. And finally, Pile Number Three is a stack of exercise dvd's and old video games that got evicted from their home when we had our new air conditioner installed ... last spring. So if I'm feeling ambitious, I might finally deal with at least one of these piles.

Chances are, I won't be feeling ambitious, but damn, my stewed prunes smell good. I love how a little citrus and a little cinnamon can make the house smell like Christmas!