Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pregnancy Q&A

The New Year started on Tuesday, but my third trimester started on Wednesday, and for me, that feels like the bigger deal. I thought it might be fun to do a little Q&A with myself and take stock of how my pregnancy is going.

Do you have any cravings?
Vanilla milkshakes, milk, bread, and cheese.

Any anti-cravings?
If I walk near the seafood counter at my grocery store, I want to die. Also, I have to avoid acidic foods, or else I throw up. That means no tomatoes, onions, chocolate, etc.

When was the last time you threw up?
About four hours ago.

Are you sleeping well?
Well enough. Every night, I build a "pillow fort." First, I stack four pillows against the wall to lean against. (If I lie down in a flat position, I throw up.) I put a fifth pillow under my knees, and then I position a sixth and seventh pillow on either side of my body, like big pillow armrests, except they are more like "tummy rests."

Is Baby Girl kicking a lot these days?
Tons, but it doesn't hurt. 

If you could use one word to describe Baby Girl, what would it be?
Feisty!

Does she have a name?
Yes, but only Nathan and I know her name and we are not telling anyone else until after she is born.

Is her nursery ready?
Good God, no. But we do have her crib. It's in a box, and the box is chilling in our living room.

How is your energy?
Inconsistent. Some days I'm fine until about 8:30 p.m., without any naps. Other days, I craaaaaash at 3 p.m. and need to nap for several hours before I can stagger into the kitchen for some "dinner." On those days, "dinner" means something like a spoonful of peanut butter or a handful of cereal.

How was the glucose tolerance test?
Totally overrated! Everyone complains about how nasty the glucose drink is and how the test made them dizzy/nauseous. The drink tasted like soda with a slightly funny aftertaste, and I was able to guzzle it down in less than a minute. Then I sat and worked on a cross-stitch project while I waited for my blood test. I never felt ill. No problema.

Have any ordinary tasks become difficult?
Tying my shoes! Thank God for my Uggs. I can just slip them on and I don't have to worry about socks or laces. But, my Uggs do not offer great support so I only wear them if I'm walking a short distance. If I'm walking any significant distance, I suck it up and put my running shoes on.

Are you carrying high or low?
I have no idea. I just know my belly is big.

Do you have any plans for what you want to eat after Baby Girl arrives?
A ham sandwich! The ban on deli meats is the worst. I want a ham and cheddar cheese sandwich on sourdough with mustard, onion and tomatoes with a can of Coca-Cola.