Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Telecommuting Disadvantage

I am a big fat Christmas lights dork. Oh, how I love Christmas lights! From the house with three flickering bulbs on a dead bush to the McMansion that is using enough electricity to power an aircraft carrier, I love and adore every bulb that lights up this season.

When I had an evening commute, I enjoyed these glorious lights every weeknight. Most nights, I just admired the few displays on my normal route. But at least once a week, I would get off the freeway early or drive a few laps around my neighborhood before pulling into my driveway. And yes, I would blast carols while geeking out to the lights.

But I no longer have a commute, unless walking from the bedroom to the living room counts. I keep telling myself that I should just take myself for a drive when it gets dark... but I'm at the end of my second trimester, and I don't go joy riding for shits and giggles anymore. Even if that joyride involves Christmas lights.
 
Eleven months a year, if you asked me to make a pro/cons table for telecommuting, my cons column would be empty. But in December, I would have to list "no commute = fewer lights/inflatable Santas" as a con. Holy crap, I can't believe I'm saying this but ... telecommuting may actually have a seasonal disadvantage.

However, as a telecommuter, I don't have to attend an office party, and that is worth ten thousand colorful bulbs.