Thursday, August 18, 2011

Does Anyone Actually Buy Christmas Decorations In August?

I adore Halloween, and every decoration associated with the holiday.  Someday, I would like to transform my front lawn into a graveyard.  No, that’s not entirely correct.  Someday, I would like to turn my entire home into a haunted house with a cemetery outside.

However, as much as I love Halloween decorations, I will not, as a matter of principle, buy any pumpkins, skulls or screaming doorknobs until mid-September at the earliest.      

I went to Michael’s yesterday to buy some craft supplies, and the front of the store was dedicated to Halloween decorations.  There were at least four aisles stuffed with skeletons, pumpkins, tombstones, spiders, ghosts and ghouls.  There was a choir of moaning corpses.  I felt a little like I was being brainwashed or hypnotized.  For a few minutes, I slowly walked down a Halloween aisle, mesmerized by the “haunted portraits,” until I remembered it’s August and hurried away to the beading section.

Then I saw the Christmas decorations. 

I stopped dead in my tracks and stared.  Christmas ornament supplies.  I repeat: Christmas ornament supplies IN AUGUST.

I know, I know, this happens every year.  The stores start pushing Christmas in August.  I shouldn’t be so outraged, BUT I AM.  When the stores roll out the Christmas decorations in August, you know what they are doing?  They are slapping Summer across the face and giving the middle finger to pool parties, bbq’s, and ice cream. 

Why are we always looking ahead to the next season?  In the winter, we complain about how cold it is and look forward to flowers and Easter.  In the spring, we are ready for the summer heat.  By mid-summer, everyone is complaining about the heat and shopping for their new fall wardrobe.  And so on.  It drives me insane.  I don’t want to shop for wool jackets in August! 

I realize that this is not an issue that needs national attention, but I prefer to enjoy the present season.  Right now, it’s summer.  As much as I love Halloween and Christmas, I’m not ready to start buying pumpkins and dancing Santas.   

No comments:

Post a Comment