Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Argo and Boss

On Sunday, Nathan and I saw the movie Argo and then we watched the Season Two finale of Boss. Both were excellent. (And thank God for that, because the Cardinals decided to crap out later that night.)

Argo is about the effort to rescue six Americans during the Iran Hostage Crisis. As the embassy was being stormed, these Americans escaped and managed to hide at the Canadian ambassador's house. The CIA created a fake sci-fi movie called Argo, so the Americans could pretend they were members of a Canadian film crew scouting locations in Iran.

The movie is both intense and funny. I cried several times - but those might have been my pregnancy hormones (seeing as I also cried at the end of The Dark Knight). As serious as the subject matter was, I also laughed many times, especially when either John Goodman or Alan Arkin were on screen. The cast, by the way, is ridiculous. Just take a look at the credits.

Ben Affleck was also great. Seriously. He usually annoys the crap out of me. When I first saw a preview for Argo, I told Nathan, "Too bad. Looks like Ben Affleck is going to ruin what could be a great movie." Wow, was I wrong. Apparently Ben Affleck can act, and he's just been choosing the wrong roles. Also, he directed this movie, so maybe he shines best when he has more control over the film. Whatever the reason, I have a new appreciation for Mr. Affleck.

I'd like to go on the record now and predict that this movie will win the Academy Award for Best Picture. It might not be the best film of 2012, but it is certainly up there. In light of the recent tragic events in Libya, it should resonate deeply with viewers. At the end of the movie, the audience at my theater applauded.

Argo seems to be getting the attention it deserves, but unfortunately, Boss is not. Boss is about the Chicago political scene. Kelsey Grammar plays the corrupt mayor who is dying from a rare disease that causes delusions. It is OUTSTANDING: there are lots of surprising plot twists and compelling characters. The writers do an excellent job of creating a lot of random story lines that actually come together in the end.

As we were cleaning up dinner on Sunday, I was happily babbling to Nathan about Boss and the questions that I hoped would be answered during Season Three. Nathan sadly informed me that he had read an article that suggested Boss would not be renewed for a third season.

#$%&@())(*!#@&@!*!!!

Boss is such an original show, and Kelsey Grammar has done an amazing job playing the Chicago mayor AND THIS SHOW MIGHT BE CANCELLED!?!?!

I blame you. Yes, you, the person reading this blog entry. It's your fault. If you don't watch Boss, then you are personally responsible for its poor ratings and tragic demise. Why are you doing this to me? Stop watching Two and a Half Men and shake up your television commitments. YOU NEED TO WATCH BOSS OR I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.