Monday, April 30, 2012

My Avocado Plant (I Hope)

I've always wanted to grow a plant from an avocado pit; but whenever I have an avocado pit on hand, I feel lazy and say "next time." And we all know that "next time" is a lazy person's code for "never."

I had an avocado for lunch* last week and finally decided, by Jove**, that it was time for my avocado plant.


Following these directions, I rigged my avocado pit with three toothpicks and then set it in a glass of water.  (If you look closely, you can see the avocado carcass in the background, between the knives and the lemon).


Now we just have to play the waiting game and see what, if anything, grows from my avocado pit.  Theoretically, an avocado plant will sprout in the next two to six weeks.  But, if I'm lucky, I will get either (a) a beanstalk that grows to the sky, or (b) a talking plant.  If it's Option A, I will only steal one pot of gold from the giants in the sky (I'm not greedy).  If it's Option B, I will hack my plant into microscopic pieces and burn the remains.  (I saw the Little Shop of Horrors movie at an impressionable age and although we could make a fortune from a talking plant, I'm afraid it would eventually eat Nathan).

* For my lunch, I mashed up an avocado with a couple tablespoons of goat cheese and then spread it on a slice of toasted French bread.  Bliss.

** I don't use this phrase often enough - by Jove!!!