Friday, March 23, 2012

Sad.

The little hummingbird I tried to rescue died yesterday. 

As I explained in yesterday's post, I found the hummingbird on Tuesday afternoon.  Wednesday morning, I brought him to the Pasadena Humane Society.  On Thursday, he died.

I know it was just a hummingbird, and I only took care of him for a few hours.  But in those few hours, I fell in love with the hummingbird. 

Although he didn't make it, I'm glad I tried to save the hummingbird.  I'm grateful for the few hours we spent together.  That I got to carry him out of harm's way and feed him drops of nectar.  That I got to watch him breathe and watch him try to fly.  And that I was able to flip him back on his tummy whenever he fell on to his back and got stuck. 

My poor little hummingbird never got to fly.  But damnit, he fought hard to live and he did not give up.  That little hummingbird lived fiercely, despite being so small and fragile.  He inspired me.